Friday, April 2, 2010

Another Gift

Another gift of time was given to me today.... I LOVE it when my job calls at 5:30 am to ask me to stay home (with pay)... time to go back to sleep... mum-m-m-m-m... late coffee by the fire, scanning over the newspaper (if it's Fri, or the week-end), catching up on emails & Face Book, reading uplifting books, and WRITING on my blog... all great gifts of time!

One of the books I'm still reading is Napoleon Hill's KEYS TO SUCCESS... chapter 8... How to Control Your Enthusiasm...

A personnel example... I go to work at the hospital ... I've worked for over 23 years with some of the same people ... most of whom I admire & respect... but my enthusiasm is low because (I know for a fact) that before the 12 hours are up, I will be running to beat the time clock.

I clock in usually by 6:30 am, get report and hit the floor running by 7:15. I may not get breakfast until 1030. Have to count on my 5:30 am snack with MonaVie, to sustain me. No lunch before 2:30-3:30 ... eaten of course, with MonaVie.

There are dressings to change, blood sugars to check prior to each meal and cover with insulin if needed, scheduled meds and... extra pain meds to give (frequently every 1-2 hours)... go with patients to tests, be alert to any critical changes in patients status, lab values to look up & doctors to call, families to comfort... different therapies to consult with, such as physical therapy or speech therapy... work as a team player and wing-man with my nursing assistants and co-workers...

So I may not even open a chart before 4 pm ... and documentation on 4-5 patients takes time ... especially when squeezed between before mentioned tasks. Then in addition, there are discharges, and admits, AND post-ops (meaning surgical patients)

P.S. again, all these activities require more of that nasty documentation ... along with all the EXTRA required tasks.

All the while I try to spend as much quality time on a personnel level as I possibly can with all my patients and their families ... an ongoing process through the 12 hour shift no matter what else is going on.

And last but not least... if it can be avoided, don't clock out late! (not past 7:22 pm) ... gotta keep the boss happy.

Mercy me! This is why now a-days, 2 days a week is all this old gal can take.

So how do I control my enthusiasm... or have any at all, you might ask. Well, have you heard of "faking it until you make it"?

I intentionally ignore my low enthusiasm... I look at my assignment... "I will make this a good day!" I say to myself... then out loud to any co-worker who will listen.

From then on... I consciously perform the PMA (Positive Mental Attitude)... and through-out the day I see the positive results. There IS power in PMA enthusiasm! Enough power to sustain me through the 12 hour shift and enough for me to pass some positive encouragement on to my patients & their families. I go the extra mile... with enthusiasm! I keep away from the negative ... don't hang with the negative... stick with the optimists!

Okay, I admit that before 7:15 pm my feet move slower, my back is stiffer, my patience is challenged, BUT I DO IT! Just one hour at the time!

I'm thankful for my nursing job... it has been good in many ways. I can honestly say, that out side of being a wife and a Mother, (which I consider both to be full time careers), my dream was to be a nurse ... and it was fullfilled. But... NOW I dream of retirement from nursing ... God willing, before Jan 2011... passing my Florance Nightingale's lamp (so to speak) on to younger feet, stronger backs, and quicker minds, etc.

NOW my new dream job is MonaVie... which by the way, goes hand in hand with my nursing career and my belief in total health... a natural transition.

I've been in other network marketing careers but this is the only one which I am totally enthusiastic about. No faking it!

I'm looking forward to reaching my full potential working alongside my husband in MonaVie. I'm so glad I didn't stop dreaming!

Where's my timeclock?

I won't miss it!

1 comment: